You8217;ll need to make sure you8217;re running the latest software on your Sonos app and speakers. To do this, open the Sonos app > Tap on the three dots in the bottom right corner > Settings > System Updates > Check for Updates.
- Open the Sonos app
- Tap 8216;More8217; 8211; the three dots in the bottom corner of the app
- Tap on 8216;Voice Services8217;
- Click on 8216;Amazon Alexa8217;
- Click on 8216;Add to Sonos8217;
- Select the rooms you want to add Amazon Alexa too
- Tap 8216;Add Amazon Alexa8217; at the bottom
- Sign into your Amazon account
- Select 8216;Continue8217;
- Select 8216;Done8217;
Those instructions will get your Sonos account and Amazon accounts liked up, but there is one step left before you can start asking Alexa to play Ed Sheeran. You8217;ll need to enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet
- Tap the three lines in the top left corner
- Tap on 8216;Skills & Games8217;
- Search for 8216;Sonos8217; using the Skills search icon in the top right of your screen
- Tap on the Sonos skill
- Tap 8216;Enable8217;
- You8217;ll then need to link your Sonos and Amazon accounts. You8217;ll be redirected to Sonos8217; homepage in order to sign into your Sonos account.
- Give permission to allow Alexa to control your Sonos system. Press 8216;Okay8217; then 8216;Continue8217;
- A new window will pop up that says: 8220;To continue, close this window to discover devices you can control with Alexa.8221; Hit the 8216;X8217; in the top right-hand corner.
- Tap 8216;Discover Devices8217;. This will search your home network for all compatible Sonos speakers.
- All your speakers should now be listed and you can send music, etc to them via an Alexa device. Be sure to say the room name if your asking Alexa to play music on a Sonos device that isn8217;t the Sonos One or Sonos Beam.
Alexa support on the Sonos One and Sonos Beam is similar to the experience on Amazon Echo, but not quite as seamless and there are a few features missing. You will be able to use your Sonos One or Sonos Beam to control any smart home devices that are compatible with Amazon Alexa however, as well as ask Alexa to perform various tasks, including delivering a weather update, answering a question or ordering you an Uber, for example.
For many features, you8217;ll need to make sure you have all the skills enabled in the Alexa app, as you would for Amazon Echo.
For example, say 8220;Alexa, play Drake in the living room8221; and music by Drake will start to play on the Sonos speaker you have previously designated 8220;living room8221;. Read our Sonos tips and tricks to change a room name. Music will play from your default music service, which you can change in the Alexa app. It8217;s also possible to play or shuffle Sonos playlists you8217;ve manually created.
For Sonos speakers without Alexa built-in, so the Play:1, Play:3, Play:5, Playbase and Playbar, you won8217;t them talking back to you as you would with Amazon Echo or the Sonos Beam or Sonos One. Instead, Alexa effectively becomes the Sonos controller, the Sonos speaker itself does not become a voice assistant.